The Rushcutter

14.10.15

Fall has arrived and I´m sewing full speed through a couple of testings and other necessary sews for my kids. The rithm has been phrenetic, though my blog doesn´t reflect it. Good, at least something is remaining peaceful and quiet in life, ha!
I don´t know exactly why, but I seem to be following a very minimalist trend for this A/W. I´m running away from a lot of vibrant fabrics and focusing more on matchable colours.
A few new pattern designers are coming around and it´s a good thing to see. They come with new ideas to refresh our eyes and make you want to hibernate and sew thru the cold days.
The new In the Folds (previously Em Makes Patterns) by Emily Hundt looks really promising: she has been sharing some very good tutorials on her blog and once I saw the testers call for this I couldn´t resist. It instantly reminded me of this released a while ago by Burda from the designer JC de Castelbajac.
This was my testers version, and though I really like the A line and baggy look, I would probably tweak it a bit for my next sew, just by removing 1 inch at the front. This is totally a personal preference since, as you know, I´m usually a size -2. I used a stretch suiting that was perfect for what I had envisioned: a simple, minimalist dress, but with some detailing that makes you look twice.



The sleeves are a gorgeously designed raglan that wraps around from the center panel to the back, all in one piece, with a shoulder dart. In the back there´s an invisible zipper, which I´m not showing because I should have interfaced that area since I was using stretch (it´s designed for wovens but it works with medium to heavy knits with low stretch as this), so I obviously got the wavy effect and I need to redo it. Neverthless, the tutorial and photo instructions guide you thru everything. It´s not a rush sew, it´s one where you truly enjoy and work every seam with love.



One of my favourite features about it is the oversized pockets that again, keep it really visually interesting. It´s a good pattern to play with colour blocking. For the hems I used my faithfull hem tape since I wasn´t going to ruin this beauty with my wonky topstitching. Even with a medium weight fabric like this, it holds up perfectly and it´s a good cheat if you run away from handstitching like me (if you wanna know, I already used it with a thick wool and it works like a charm, I use one from Millward).
The Rushcutter will be having a sew along starting Monday 19th, after what Em will be releasing additional pattern pieces for a slimmer version. It´s definitely worth a bookmark and another gorgeous dress to add to your endless sewing wishlist (ha, yes, I know you have one!) <3

15 comentários

  1. Darn it, Andreia!!!! Why must you taunt me with your perfect sewing and beautiful garments??? WHY?? <3 I LOVE this. Such a perfect dress and you wear it so well. And yes, you are right -- it is going on my sewing wishlist. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Emi, that´s what friends are for! I´m so glad you like it, I´m really hoping you take the plunge and start sewing more for yourself! <3

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous! Love everything about that dress! Stunnning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have a new dress crush! It's just perfect! And great tip, I do not like to hand stitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I totally think this dress has your name all over it! It´s your style! <3

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Amazing Trine, welcome here! Thank you so much! <3

      Delete
  5. Very classy! Love the look! Basically I want everything that you sew! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It's me.... your friend (just in case you want to send some of your clothes). I have no clue how that name came out! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Loool Rita! Well, it suits you, hahaha! I mean, maybe it suits everyone here... should we look for help? Haha, thank you my friend! <3

      Delete
  6. Too much perfection! I can't handle this! Lol haha I'm jealous! <3 want to sew my clothes too? love it all and you are gorgeous! Always dead curious to see all your projects! Thanks for being so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loool haha I´m pushing it right? Imagine me going like this to kindergarten everyday! No, jeans and lindens are my mummyform! But I do love these projects as an excuse to have an ego boost haha! Thank you for your love my friend! And you´re a part of what inspires me! <3

      Delete
  7. Estou super invejosa, aliás como as meninas todas aqui! Amazing dress. That said, off to by me tha pattern! <3 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cada post melhor que o outro. Tanto naquilo que escreves como nas peças que coses. Estás mesmo de parabéns! :)

    ReplyDelete